The Venice Biennale, which has its offices in Ca' Giustinian (San Marco, 1364/A), has for over a century been one of the most prestigious cultural institutions in the world. Ever since its foundation in 1895, it has been in the avant-garde, promoting new artistic trends and organising international events in contemporary arts. It is world-beating for the International Film Festival, for the International Art Exhibition and for the International Architecture Exhibition, and continues the great tradition of the Festival of Contemporary Music, the Theatre Festival, now flanked by the Festival of Contemporary Dance.
Headed by its mayor, Riccardo Selvatico, the Venetian City Council passed a resolution on 19th April 1893 to set up a biennial exhibition of Italian art, to be inaugurated on 22nd April 1894. However, the event took place in 1895, two years later than it had been planned. On 30th April, the 1st International Art Exhibition was inaugurated.
The 54th International Art Exhibition
The Exhibition is paralleled by 89 National Participations, a record for the Art Biennale (they were 77 in 2009). The countries that are participating for the first time include Andorra, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, and Haiti. Other countries are participating after a long period of absence. 37 Collateral Events are arranged by international organizations and institutions, featuring exhibitions and initiatives in various locations around the city.
Commissioner: Viktor Sydorenko. Curators: Achille Bonito Oliva, Oleksiy Rogotchenko. Deputy Curators: Ute Kilter, Diana Fedorova-Pecherskaya. Venues: Chiesa di San Fantin and Campo San Stae